Last week, I decided to use the last of the apples to make some apple bread since we already have an apple pie in the freezer. Awesome idea because everyone LOVES it. Especially my little JOE.
Anyways, here's how it is made.
1-cup warm milk
3.5 cups bread flour
4.5 TBS sugar
1 tsp salt
4.5 TBS butter at room temperature (I heated mine for 25-seconds in the microwave)
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
4 TBS butter
5-apples cut up into small pieces
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp lemon juice
1-egg beaten with 2-TBS water in it
- Pre-heat oven to 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, add warm milk, ½ TBS sugar and yeast. Mix well and set aside in a warm place for 8-minutes until it gets foamy on top. I put mine in a microwave.
- In another bowl, add eggs, remaining sugar, flour and butter. Mix well until a dough is formed. Add more flour if needed to get it to a dough consistency. I ended up adding additional 1/3 cup flour.
- Form a ball with the dough and place in a greased bowl. Cover with a clean kitchen cloth or Reynolds wrap and place in a warm place for 90-minutes. I placed mine in the oven. NOTE: Oven was NOT turned on. I have 2 ovens so while one was heating the other was turned off.
- For the filling, in a pot, add butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Stir on medium heat until the butter is fully melted and everything combines properly. Then add the apples.
- Cook until most of the liquid is absorbed into the apples. It’ll look somewhat opaque. Remove from heat and set it aside to fully cool.
- Grease another pan with baking spray or butter. Take the dough out of the oven and punch it in the middle to let out some of the air.
- Sprinkle some flour on a clean surface and spread the dough and roll it into a rectangular shape. Sprinkle the dough with some cinnamon and sugar mixed together. Then add on the cooled apple filling.
- Roll the dough into a log and cut it up to about 2-3 inches each. Should make about 8-10 pieces.
- Place the cut up pieces facing up in greased pan and let sit for 15 to 30-minutes to allow it to continue to rise. I let mine sit for 20-minutes before throwing it in the oven. Sprinkle with blueberries or raisins as garnish.
- Brush with the egg wash and place in the oven for 30-minutes until golden brown.
The original recipe had an icing mixture on there but because this was going to be consumed by a very active toddler, I chose to skip it. It is still plenty sweet.
If you do make it, do let me know how it turns out. Enjoy!