Monday, April 14, 2014

DIY: Shirt to Dress (refashion)

So, I have made several attempts to make adult DIY clothing items but haven't fully been successful. I figured the best way to work around this is to do a refashion. In hopes that once I am comfortable with that, I can then venture out on my own.

This refashion was quite an ordeal. The actual work time was about 2-hours from start to finish. BUT I had to deal with a bent needle on my sewing machine! Anyone who knows me knows that I don't care much for manuals. I am more a "figure it out on my own and consult the manual if it doesn't work as it should" kinda gal. Well, this was one time I had to break out the manual.
My sewing machine came with a Spanish and an English manual. Why could I only find the Spanish manual? Apparently, I hid the English one so well, I even hid it from myself!
Thankfully, after a 30-minute search, I eventually located it and was able to change out the needle and continue my work. Needless to say, this "simple" project took a lot longer than anticipated.

On to business. I pinned this idea about a year ago when I first got my sewing machine. I had 2-shirts I got a while back when I visited my folks in MA that were definitely a few sizes too big but they looked so comfortable as sleep wear so that's what I planned on using them for. But when I saw this idea, I figured, it would work for what I was trying to do.

Frumpy and oversize shit. Ignore my camera tripod. Yes, it is a tiney tiny one. J often laughs when he sees it set up but it works! :-P


Neck and sleeves cut to the length I want.


I used a chalk to mark where I want to put the elastic.

Then pinned away.

Outside of the elastic sewed in.

Inside of the elastic sewed in.


Then it was on to the sleeves.
While working, JOE got back home and decided to play with my camera. Here's her photography...



She's still going at it...

And another

I know...I need to organize this but haven't had a chance to. Yes...it is a walking hazard.

Back to our regularly scheduled program. I hand sewed the glittery embellishment on the front and on the sleeves.


While I finished up sewing, JOE entertained herself. Here is JOE's handy work. That's my Picasso waiting to be discovered!


The innocent face! I am just glad she wasn't writing on my iPAD. SMH!


And me wearing my refashioned top. What do you think?

I kinda like it! I have another one so I'll try to do a variation of this. 


And if I decided to wear it to run simple errands, I can dress it down with flip flops.


Couldn't get a clear picture because my baby girl was hanging on to my leg. The joys of motherhood! 

Before and after
Expertise needed: Beginner. It really just needed the use of you own imagination once you figure out what you want it to look like.
Total approximate time: Like I said earlier, this took A LOT longer than anticipated! 2-hours to be exact. Considering it was very simple hemming stuff, that was WAAAYYYY too long. BUT on a positive note, I now know where my manual is :-).
Total spent on materials: $0. I already had everything at home.
Feedback: I like this. It is comfortable and so easy to make. I definitely plan on making it again. 

Have a fabulously blessed week!


6 comments:

  1. I still can't believe you can do this! Crazy how it went from that huge shirt to a fitted dress. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thank you! I just like looking for simple things. I won't take on anything complicated :-). Not that brave yet.

      Delete
  2. That's super creative...way to go lady!! i like it a lot!! JOE looks too cute coloring!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I've started taking my hubby's old shirts just so I can have them for projects like these.

    ReplyDelete

Follow my blog here

AyoBE

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *