Saturday, February 2, 2013

Shoes or no shoes?

Yesterday, we had someone come fix the sinks in both our bathrooms. The repair man was rude and asked for his money upfront before even looking at or doing the work. That put me in a bad mood but my biggest issue was the fact that he walked in with his dirty work boots and didn't offer to take them off. We have light carpet and I hate seeing the stains on there.
To compound matters, he forgot to turn off the water before he started working. And sure enough, he got water all over our bathroom floors. I ended up having to clean up after him and was not happy about that especially since it was my last day of maternity leave and I was dealing with a fussy baby who didn't want to sleep.

With the clean up I had to do for the bathroom and floors, it got me thinking...should I make it mandatory for people to take off their shoes before walking in my house? Its never really bothered me before but now with a new baby who will be crawling in a few months, moving into a new home and the lack of cleaning time, I am thinking I ought to start doing that. Of course I will provide socks in different sizes purchased from the dollar store.

We don't her a ton of visitors so I am boor anticipating a need for a boat load of socks.



So what say you? Do you allow folks wear shoes in your house or do you make them take it off? If so, do you make provision for footwear while they are in your home such as flip flops or socks? Please take the poll on the right and let me know what you think.

Have an awesome weekend!

17 comments:

  1. We do make our guests remove their shoes at the door.We wear slippers in the house and always take off our shoes when visiting,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I am thinking of doing as well. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Oh yeah, you can definitely ask people to take off their shoes. you don't need to provide socks (you would be collecting unnecessary germs), they better have their own socks or they are going bare feet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured a lot of people don't feel comfortable walking around bare feet so I figured it would be nice to give them socks. I once visited a home where that was done. Of course I was told to take the socks home with me. I figured if I get the socks from the dollar store, it won't be too expensive.

      Delete
  3. We allow guests to wear their shoes but all our friends take it off in the sunroom before they enter.

    If you are not comfortable with it def ask your guests to remove their shoes. Or if you have shoes already out lined up outside the door, most will follow suit and you don't even have to ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...I think that's what I'll do. Line up a few shoes next to the front door so folks can follow suit. I'll then put a basket of socks next to it.

      Delete
  4. I do ask people to take their shoes OFF...I never understood how people think they can walk into someone's house with their shoes on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree with that 100%. I always ask if I should take off my shoes if I don't see any next to the front door.

      Delete
  5. We have wood floors so it hasn't been an issue, but I don't mind taking my shoes off when I visit someone. Their house, their rules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! If we had all hardwood, I might consider letting folks leave their shoes on. Then again, my sister has all hard wood and she makes everyone take off their shoes. The first time I visited her in their new home (they live in a different state), the kids were like "don't wear your shoes on mommy's hardwood floors!" I guess she has them trained :-).

      Delete
  6. We have wooden and tiled floors, so most times, I don't mind. But when I visit, I always ask, even if they have wooden floors or tiles. I don't think anyone would be offended if you asked them to remove their shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope folks are OK with it. If not, I'll just tell them to feel free to contribute towards cleaning our carpet :-). I am not serious of course but in my head, I would play out that scene :-).

      Delete
  7. I have wood floors, and ask my guest to take of their shoes. I take mine off as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. I think it is a very reasonable thing to do. My sister does the same thing.

      Delete
  8. I let people leave their shoes on. When we lived in Hawaii, NO ONE allowed people to wear shoes in the house and I hated having to take my shoes off when it ruined an outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you feel the same way if they provide you with socks or slippers to wear around the house?

      Delete
  9. When living in Britain we allowed people to wear their shoes, but in Canada everyone removes their shoes. I will that rule forever now, it's more hygienic and easy for my back pains (don't have clean after they leave)

    ReplyDelete

Follow my blog here

AyoBE

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *