Monday, October 2, 2017

Prepping for Kindergarten

JOE's school sent us her school list to ensure we had the right items for JOE when school began. Since JOE will be the one carrying and using these items, I was sure to include her in the shopping experience. I let her choose and she did a great job. 
While she is still young when it comes to money management, when she choose something that we considered too expensive, we explained to her that she had the option to choose that but it might mean forgoing something else that she wants. I noticed that my daughter learned the important lesson of compromise, negotiating and accepting limits during this experience. 

In preparation for all day Kindergarten, these were the 5 main items that were considered essential.

1. Backpack: Of course, you KNOW she would choose a Doc McStuffins backpack. She said it will help her get ready to become a doctor. My girl was READY. This is a full size backpack and the school specified that this is what she needs. Her backpack came with an attached lunch bag. And since it can be taken out or remain attached, this has been helpful because it reduces her risk of losing it.







2. Slim ice packs: On the list was ice packs. The school does not hold the kids' lunches so to ensure that the food stays fresh, they said ice packs are good. I went shopping for a slim one that would fit into her lunch bag without being too bulky or too heavy. 
I found this affordable one that is just right. It came in a pack of 4 but she only needs one which means we have quite a few extras. This will definitely come in handy when JAE goes to school. 
It is also an easy clean up (rinse under running water) and put back in the freezer.



3. Water bottle: While this was not on their school essential list, I put it on mine because I didn't know what type of water arrangements the school has for the kids. It is easy for a child to go an entire day and not think about drinking water. So I make sure to have a full bottle of water in her backpack compartment (the one above has a side pocket for it). I check the bottle everyday to make sure JOE is drinking at least that amount of water. 
When she first started school, she would come back home with the bottle still full. Which told me she often forgot to drink any water during school. Considering she spends all day in school until we pick her up in the evening, I really didn't like knowing that she hadn't had any water all day. So this is a good way to encourage and measure how much water your child is getting in.



4. Hair organizer: With JOE starting school, she has been coming home with more creative hairstyle requests. Gone are the days of just one or 2 long braids. Now, she describes the styles she wants and I try to find similar ones on Pinterest. So far, we've been lucky. However, because of the new styles, I now need to keep her hair products organized to ensure that I am not running around looking for hair accessories when the time comes. 
We got this organizer and I LOVE IT! It saves us so much time and keeps everything organized. I carry things from room to room and even recently took it with us to the hair salon for JOE's monthly visit there. 
TIP: Go follow their site on Instagram and Facebook. They sometimes offer discount codes as well.












5. Cute Hair accessories:These are the new accessories I was talking about. JOE and JAE LOVE these! I have posted some pictures of their hair styles over the last 2 weeks. Apparently, this is a new thing with the kids. Mine sure do love it.









What are some ways you prepared your little ones for school? I'd love to hear from you. 


Have a wonderful week and be sure to be kind to strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow my blog here

AyoBE

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *