Monday, January 16, 2017

DIY: The making of a PJ Masks Catboy skirt

I can't believe it has taken me this long to blog this. 

 For JOE's birthday last year, she told me she wanted a PJ Masks party. And she wanted to be Catboy because Catboy is the leader. 

Because Catboy is a male character, I had to go searching for something that would work for her. I couldn't find anything so I decided to make my own. 

The first thing I did was to order this shirt from JCPenney. It was on sale for $9.99 so I was happy to get it.   
 



Then I went shopping at Walmart for fat quarter fabric in a mix of different shades of blue. Each fat quarter was 99c. I got a total of 6. 3 of each shade.

First thing I did was lay it all down as seen below. Since I got fat quarters, with the exception of the tool which I had to cut into squares, I didn't have to cut the other fabric.



I already had the blue tulle at home from AyoBE Boutique so I just decided to use it since it worked. 
The vision for the skirt came from this skirt on Pinterest. It is a handkerchief skirt. 

I basically cut a quarter-circle in the middle of the skirt after I folded it in half and then re-folded that half again. When one half was unfolded, this is what it looked like. 

Don't fret about the actual size of the semi-circle. What is important is that you not make it too small. The actual size that matters is the size of the elastic waist. For that, I took my daughter's waist size and reduced it by 2 inches to account for the elastic and then added 1 inch for seam allowance. In other words, if her waist is 19 inches, I cut the elastic to 18-inches. Basically, 17 plus 1. Putting the final size at 17 inches. The elastic gives enough of a stretch to ensure it stays put but still fits nicely.
 


My daughter's party was at Skye zone which means she'd be jumping a lot. So I decided to make an underskirt bloomer for her. Instead of putting the elastic on the bloomer itself, I attached it to the elastic on the skirt.


  
The end results.



She loved it so much that she wanted to wear it the same day I finished the skirt.






Strike a pose!






If you are wondering how the outfit came about, the top left is the vision I had in mine. The top right is how I put it together before I finished it. The bottom left is the process and the bottom right is the final outcome. Not bad huh?




Her total outfit cost less than $20. And she LOVED it!!!

You can see more of her birthday celebration here
 






This was a pretty easy skirt and I am very much looking forward to taking on the challenge for JAE's birthday party in April. Although, I don't think I'll be making her outfit since there are TONS of Sofia the first outfits out there to choose from.

2 comments:

  1. It came out so nice! I wish I could sew- I'd love to make more things for my children. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you did an amazing job. Can't believe that you can do this sort of thing. I wish I had a creative bone in my body!

    ReplyDelete

Follow my blog here

AyoBE

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *