Friday, June 30, 2017

#3Ehairupdate: Hour Glass Rollers on my natural hair

I know I haven't done a hair update in a while. My hair has really grown. To be honest with you, I am surprised of how full and long it has gotten because I haven't really don't anything special to it. 


I stopped taking manetabolism in 2015 because it just got too expensive and this momma has a business to run so discretionary funds go to AyoBE Boutique.

Anyways, I am sure you are ready to see my progress so here we go.

The below picture is pretty much what I wear most days of the week. It is SIMPLE and I like the way my hair falls and the way it frames my face. The best part is that I use minimal gel (aloe vera gel in water) and Cantu Shea Butter curling creme or curl activator to achieve this look!

The shrinkage is real...My shrinkage is 50%! Love it. I know a lot of people don't like shrinkage but I happen to be one of those people who doesn't really like hair on my neck especially when it gets hot so for me, shrinkage is very much welcomed!
I am wearing the Skye African Print earrings from AyoBE Boutique.




A few weeks ago, I decided I wanted to change things up for the summer a bit. And ordered these hourglass rollers. They are heatless rollers and are guaranteed to make your hair stretched with no heat damage.
I read a lot of great reviews and saw a lot of YouTube videos about them so I figured why not? Granted, spending almost $50 for rollers is STEEP on any budget BUT I figured my hair is long as are the girls so we will get use out of them.
I ordered them through eBAY and also via Longing4Length's website. It is cheaper on the eBAY site because it comes with the pins. Note that the white rollers only come in packs of 6 and not 12 so I had to order 2 sets. The pins are long and take a little getting used to. I couldn't figure them out but then did after I was almost done rolling my hair. They are long because they are meant to hold more than one roller. 
I improvised and used pins since I couldn't figure out the pins for the most part. 



This is what the rollers look like. The best part is that they include an extra single pink roller in each order so I have 14 and not 12 rollers. Not bad!


On my wash day 2 weeks ago, I decided to use the rollers. After washing and deep conditioning my hair, I applied my oil mix to my scalp and Cantu shea butter leave in conditioner. Then used my Denman brush to smooth it out before rolling my hair.



I left these in for about 5 hours while doing other things around my home. 
I should note that I didn't roll it too tight because I am VERY tender headed.






Since I can't sleep with rollers, I took them out before bed and then pin curled my hair.




All ready for bed.




The next morning, I took out the pin curls with some olive oil on my hands.


End results.



I got a nice stretch without having to sit under the dryer! Win win. The style took a little getting used to but I rocked it for the week.


After work, to preserve the curls, I decided to do Bantu knots. 

I'm cool like Coolio! Great. I just aged myself.


One day after I got home from work, I decided to do an impromptu length check. Boy, was I surprised! Check it out! Full mid-back length.



Style worn another day to work. I feel like the look was quite different on me. I liked the ease of not dealing with single strand knots but I wasn't entirely sure about the look on me. 


Another day while running errands.



The one thing about having my hair stretched is that it showed how much I needed a trim. I went to brush my hair one day and noticed these tiny hair strands on the sink. I knew it was time for a trim. 
So I got my scissors and went to work. I took off about an inch. It isn't much and if you look at a ruler, you'll see it is very little. I am not bothered because I know I needed it. 
I'll be doing a good trim again at Christmas when I get my hair professionally done.



The next day, I wore my hair out in the same style. HOWEVER, because I had just gotten a trim, coupled with shrinkage, my hair looked like a messy afro bob cut. Not cute at all. So I just pulled it back. 
This picture was taken at the end of my work day.


I was so done with the stretched look so I switched back to my tried and trusted curly do. I love that it works for my face and works for me. It is simple and doesn't require any nightime routines. All I do is put in a loose bun at night and spray in the morning. 


During the summer, I am always very grateful to be natural because unlike when my hair was texlaxed/relaxed, I don't worry about going in the pool because rinsing out and co-washing works so great on my natural hair. 

Hope you had a wonderful week. Have a fabulous weekend and remember to be kind to strangers.

2 comments:

  1. Your hair looks SO good! I love how you've tried different styles, etc. I'm not adventurous with my hair at all! I want to be but I'm SO lazy when it comes to my hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am lazy with my hair but every now and then, I try something different. I think I'll try the stretched look again for a formal event. 😃

      Delete

Follow my blog here

AyoBE

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *